Welcome to the keepin’ it REAL curriculum for rural middle schools. We are pleased to collaborate with you on developing a new substance-abuse prevention program for our rural youth. It is particularly important that we do this now since none of the current drug prevention programs have proven effective in our rural middle schools. Using the federally recognized keepin’ it REAL program as a model, we will be working with you to develop a drug prevention program for our rural youth that teaches them to assess risk, make healthy decisions, and communicate effectively with their peers to resist drug offers.
Features of the curriculum:
- 10 lessons delivered over a 10 week period.
- Lessons all run 40-45 minutes
- Lessons promote interaction between students and teachers
- Lessons feature fun activities that involve students in their own learning
- Lessons offer students the opportunity act out the REAL Strategies of Refuse, Explain, Avoid, and Leave
- Curriculum uses a series of five videos produced by youth and based on students’ real stories as a key learning tool. To ensure that the video material is relevant and engaging creative teams of high school students from Pennsylvania and Ohio will produce the videos to reflect local culture.